Sunday, December 19, 2010

Membership Has Its Privileges?

This evening my family, along with my brother and sister-in-law, visited the Stowe Botanical Gardens Christmas lights. I thought, for $12 a person, this better be awe inspiring. Well, I was so impressed that not only did I feel it was worth the money, we left with an annual membership pass.

Wait, what did I get myself into? A membership pass?! All willpower was lost tonight. The nostalgic feelings of Christmas joy, the smile on my son's face, mixed with these what if's hit me:

What if I come here during my lunch break with a sack lunch, book, and truly relax?
What if the family has picnics after church as the leaves are changing colors?
What if I take my bike for the six mile trek, hike a few miles through the trails, refuel with a sports drink, and feel like I got some good outdoor exercise?
What if we take some educational horticultural classes or couples photography sessions?



 
Okay, I get it. I probably will not do any of those things. It's like when my wife got pregnant right after getting Carowinds Amusement Park tickets - membership (or rollercoaster) priveleges down the drain. Did I just get duped into spending three times the amount I planned to tonight? Will we even go back once?

Since I work for a membership organization, I vow to use the same stategies to make our membership worth it.

Step 1: Strike while the fire's hot
While still excited about the possibilities, I'll read up about everything the membership has to offer. Sign up for classes now, locate where free reciprocal visits are available in other areas we may visit, mark on the calendar special events, rinse, repeat til exhausted.

Step 2: Coordinate a hobby with the membership
Combine my interests in running, reading, or biking into this locale. Go out with my son to hunt for treasures via geocaching. Maybe even learn something about plants so I can impress my father in law with my botanical smarts.

Step 3: Connect with others
Invite friends or family members to explore the options. Make some new connections there. Set appointments where you have some accountability for being there.

Step 4: Set a goal and reward yourself
Goal number 1: Attend the class - Planning & Building a Weedless Vegetable Garden January 22.
Reward-Tomatoes

 


2 comments:

  1. You had either share tomatos or hints on how to grow the weedless vege garden. The public has a right to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, this go ahead, I'll just pick some up at the Farmer's Market and send them your way. You'll never know the difference.

    ReplyDelete

My Zimbio
Top Stories