Thursday, December 30, 2010

Resolutions - They Go in One Year and Out the Other

He who breaks a resolution is a weakling;
He who makes one is a fool.
~F.M. Knowles


Well Mr. Knowles, call me a fool, because once I again I'm making my resolutions for the New Year. Here are some tips on how to make those resolutions and, more importantly, how to keep them. Plus, I'll give you a step by step guide using an example.

1. Have a plan. Visualize what you want your end goal to look like and work backwards. Set incremental steps so that you can see success along the way.

For example, one of my resolutions is to train and compete in an open water triathlon by July. The end goal this summer is to qualify for the Kona Ironman in Hawai'i. No wait, it's to survive.

My backwards steps would include training to swim twice a week in fresh water by June, running three 5k's by May, joining open bike rides in town by April, registering for the event by March, competing in the Y Indoor Triathlon in February, and buying some speedos in January.

2. Make your resolutions public. Have others keep you accountable for your goals. It adds commitment and keeps you motivated. Plus, they can give you a hard time if you start to drift away.

So here we go: I PLAN TO TRAIN & COMPETE IN AN OPEN WATER TRIATHLON BY JULY. That felt good.



3. Find a buddy who has similar goals. This again creates more accountability. No one will give you a hard time if you sleep in on the weekends if your only training partner is yourself. Plus, it's more fun, socially healthy, and slightly competitive.

My run buddy will be Kathleen D'Avria, bike buddy will be Jeremy Eastburn, and swim buddy will be Lee Wells. Check.

4. Keep your focus to no more than three goals.  This way, you can laser in your efforts and realize that you have other responsibilities out there, not just completing some to do list. Also, some other results come out of meeting your goals. I'm sure to lose weight while training a triathlon, so trimming down does not have to be a resolution in and of itself for me.

5. Know your limits. I could train for an Ironman Triathlon - if I spent the next three years doing nothing but eating, breathing, and sleeping fitness. However, I realize that 1.) I am not what you consider a naturally "gifted athlete" 2.) I wouldn't have time to blog (and spend time with my family) and 3.) I would die.

6. Reward yourself. Pat yourself on your back when you complete each step. You deserve a little something. My reward for completing everything:  Tickets to the Notre Dame/Michigan State game September 17th.

My other two resolutions for 2011:
- Eat dinner with my family at least five times per week, three out of four weeks per month. No blackberry's allowed at the table.
- Get to step four in Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.

So go public, leave your comments here for your 2011 resolution. And good luck.

1 comment:

My Zimbio
Top Stories